Minds Matter of Los Angeles, in partnership with the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation, the Office of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and in collaboration with SoCal CAN, hosted a College Signing Day to celebrate 100 first-generation students who are going to college. HACLA’s 17 Project SOAR graduating seniors were invited to be honored at the event.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti spoke at the event and took the opportunity to commend the students and their families for their commitment to higher education. Mayor Garcetti was joined by government policymakers, media, local celebrities and non-profit partners to celebrate all of the graduating students and their families at Dodgers Stadium.
We are extremely proud of our youth for working tirelessly on their college applications with the Project SOAR’s Education Navigators. All of your hard work and dedication has paid off. We wish you continued success on your journey to college and beyond.
- Diana Garcia, William Mead Homes: Will be attending UCLA
Accepted to: CSU Northridge, CSULA, CSU Fullerton, UC Riverside, UCLA, LACC
- Thuy Tan, William Mead Homes: Will be attending UCLA
Accepted to: CSU Northridge, CSULA, San Diego State University, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, UCLA, LACC
- Ashley Lares, William Mead Homes: Will be attending Cal State LA
Accepted to: CSU Northridge, CSU LA, CSU Dominguez Hills, LACC
- Stephanie Sanchez, Gonzaque Village: Will be attending UC Merced
Accepted to: UC Merced, CSULA, CSULB, CSUN, and waitlisted to Fullerton. Also won the AEOE $2,500 scholarship.
- Kale Jean, Avalon Gardens: Will be attending Cal State Dominguez Hills. Accepted to: CSUDH, CSUN
- Maricruz Torres, William Mead Homes - Accepted to: UCLA, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, CSU Bakersfield, UC Riverside
- Aldo Zeas, William Mead Homes - Accepted to: Azusa Pacific University, CSU Bakersfield, CSU LA, UC Merced- Pending - Cal Poly Pomona
- Nathalie Torres, Avalon Gardens - Accepted to: Cal State Dominguez Hills, CSU Northridge
- Diana Gonzalez, Avalon Gardens - Accepted to: CSULA, CSUN, CSU Poly Pomona, CSU Monterey Bay, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Davis
Project SOAR students also submitted scholarship applications to a wide range of sources, including The Hispanic Scholarship Fund, Dan Grady 2018 Scholarship, Questbridge, HACLA’s “What Home Means to Me” annual competition, among others.
Click here to learn more about Project SOAR.
Categories: What's New
| Tags: | View Count: (527) | Return