The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) believes that investing in our communities and our youth will help our young residents get on the path to a self-sufficient future. Kids Progress Inc. (501c3), HACLA’s non-profit, provides scholarships to encourage students to pursue higher education following high school. The program is open to public housing residents that are high school graduating seniors who will be attending a vocational, technical school, two-year community college or four-year University in the fall of 2019.
Scholarships of $500 - $1,000 will be awarded to selected graduating high school students.
Selected scholarship recipients must participate in a one-day workshop which includes a focus group session.
Applications will be available starting March 1, 2019 at www.hacla.org, Boys & Girls Clubs located at public housing sites, Project SOAR and HACLA Management Offices.
1. Applicants must be HACLA residents who will be graduating from an accredited public, charter or private high schools in 2019.
2. Applicants must enroll full-time beginning with the 2019 fall semester/quarter or provide a college acceptance letter for the 2019 fall enrollment period.
3. Maintain a minimum of 2.5 grade point average.
4. Applicants must have demonstrated strong community involvement.
5. Applicants must have a valid Social Security or IRS issued Tax ID PIN.
6. Applicants must have completed the FAFSA Application.
7. Children or dependents of elected or appointed officials are not eligible.
8. Children or dependents of HACLA employees are not eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Carefully complete the application, listing all pertinent facts relating to your personal and academic achievements. Additional sheets of paper may be attached.
2. Submit a copy of your official transcript from your school.
3. Provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, professor or community leader.
4. Enclose with your application a recent photo of yourself, such as your school photo, preferably a color head-shot measuring at least 3”x 5.” This photo may be used in marketing collateral if you are selected as a recipient.
5. Provide an acceptance letter from the college/university that you will be attending this fall.
6. Return the completed application and all other information including the transcript and photo to a designated HACLA employee at the management office of the public housing development where the applicant resides. Applications must be submitted no later than TUESDAY, APRIL 30, 2019, unless otherwise requested by written notice from a representative of HACLA.
7. For additional information, please contact your program representative listed on the application.
SELECTION AND VERIFICATION PROCESS
Representatives of HACLA and KPI to identify and select scholarship recipients. The Housing Authority has the final responsibility for selecting recipients, and decisions of the agency are final.
The scholarship will be awarded for the 2019 fall semester/quarter, and it will be issued upon receipt of verification of full-time enrollment. Verification is due and must be received as soon as a student is enrolled, and in any event not later than September 1, 2019 (postmarks not accepted). HACLA will follow-up with scholarship recipients to provide additional information regarding their awards.
1. HACLA retains the right to change or terminate this program at any time, without notice.
2. HACLA is not responsible for lost applications, lost verification of enrollment, information or materials misplaced or delayed through the mail or other delivery processes.
3. Once submitted, all information and materials become the property of HACLA, and will not be returned. All information will be kept confidential.
4. Children of employees of HACLA are not eligible.
5. Children of elected or appointed local, county and state officials are not eligible.
RELEASE REGARDING PHOTOS OF APPLICANT
By applying for this scholarship, the applicant and/or parent/guardian irrevocably release and grant the Housing Authority any residual, moral or legal rights in and to the photographs, images or pictures, including all negatives or forms of media used, taken by either of them in connection with this scholarship application.
The utilization rights granted hereby shall include all future rights of use by HACLA (including its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates), and its advertising representatives, at any time hereafter. Such uses may include various advertising, training, publicity, promotional and other uses regarding HACLA and its activities, and may appear in any form of media — including print, video, motion picture, still photographs, Internet postings and other electronic formats, or be otherwise reproduced.
Materials relating to the applicant may be combined with other materials related to such uses, including other applicants, customers or employees of HACLA (or its parent or affiliates).
Application and all required materials must be received by the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles Management Office no later than 4 PM on Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Dan Grady Scholarship (Application deadline: March 15, 2019)
HAI Scholarship (Application deadline: April 30, 2019)